Position Title Payroll Team Lead – Mission Viejo, CA
Department Payroll FLSA Status Non-Exempt
Review Date 10/30/15 Grade
Reporting to the Payroll Manager, the Payroll Team Lead will be responsible for the timely and accurate processing of the Company’s payroll, ensuring execution of payroll processes and audit/control procedures to ensure accuracy. The Payroll Team Lead will play a key role in the execution of payroll policies, procedures and practices, focusing on achieving and maintaining high levels of accuracy and timeliness. The Payroll Lead will assist the Payroll Manager in coordinating with Human Resources and HRIS team to resolve any issues as they arise. This role will become a Subject Matter Expert on all procedures within payroll to be able to execute on any task necessary as well as be able to recommend suggestions for streamlined process and improvements.
Responsible for ensuring payroll processing is performed accurately and timely for all James Hardie in the US and Canada (80%):
• Oversee centralized payroll processing for all US and Canadian operations, in multiple states and across different employee groups: 10 manufacturing plants, 2 R&D centers and 2 corporate offices. Approximately 2,200 employees. This individual coordinates the work of themselves and the Payroll Administrators to ensure timely and accurately payroll every cycle.
• Oversee the payment administration of wages, bonuses, equity compensation and all other company benefit payments.
• Interprets for employees the policies and government regulations as they relate to the payroll function.
• Review and approve all earnings, deductions and tax calculations in the payroll system
• Coordinate wage and tax reconciliation with vendor and ensure tax compliance
• Provide data to Finance, Treasury, and others as needed to support accounting, operations and analysis
• Coordinates with payroll processing vendor (ADP) on regular payroll issues, 401(K) and deferred compensation reconciliation.
• Along with the Payroll Manager, serves as a resource to field Human Resource and Finance professionals responsible for site payroll to ensure best practices across the business.
Provides informal leadership to payroll team, develop staff to operate with functional excellence; 20%
• Builds and maintains strong cross-functional partnerships with HR, HRIS and operating teams
• Oversees and coordinates payroll team functions for bi-weekly payroll processing and payroll reporting.
• Maintains very high customer service standards
• Resolves employee concerns regarding salary/wage payment and taxation as well as other deduction issues.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Experience in running a multi-state payroll for over 2,200 employees
• Expertise in ADP and Kronos is required, including creating and running complex reports in ADPR and ability to identify and build appropriate interfaces between technology platforms to ensure efficient and accurate data flow in the process of payroll
• Detailed knowledge of Federal and State tax compliance and garnishments
• Ability to develop, improve, document and provide high quality deliverables
• Strong system and Excel skills
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills with a proven track record in providing the business relevant analytics around payroll information that helped drive operational changes
• Ability to be detailed while having a strong understanding of the bigger picture
• Excellent project management, organizing and planning skills, with a proven track record in implementing improvement projects
• Understands the team concept, has a strong desire to be a contributing teammate and ability to operate cross-functionally with HR and Operations teams
• An energetic, hands-on individual with a strong bias for action, someone who commits himself/herself fully to stretch goals, is receptive to ongoing coaching and development and who is dedicated to delivering outstanding results.
• Excellent interpersonal and written/oral communication skills.
• Ability to embrace step-change in a fast-paced team-oriented work environment.
• Unquestionable integrity, credibility and character who has demonstrated high moral and ethical behavior.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting preferred, but not required
• CPP certified highly desired
• Must have 3+ years of work experience with ADP and Kronos
• Minimum of 7+ years of payroll experience
• Minimum of 3+ years of overseeing payroll processing
About James Hardie
James Hardie Industries N.V. manufactures and sells fibre cement building products for interior and exterior building construction applications primarily in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Philippines and Europe. Its fiber cement products are used in a number of markets, including new residential construction (single and multi-family housing), manufactured housing (mobile and pre-fabricated homes), repair and remodeling and a variety of commercial and industrial applications (stores, warehouses, offices, hotels, motels, schools, libraries, museums, dormitories, hospitals, detention facilities, religious buildings and gymnasiums). The Company manufactures numerous types of fiber cement products with a variety of patterned profiles and surface finishes for a range of applications, including external siding and soffit lining, internal linings, facades, fencing and floor and tile underlayments. (Source: 20-F)