Medical Assistant - Primary Care (Temporary Position)-151589
What does it mean to work at Group Health?
At Group Health, our mission is to enrich people's lives by improving health. As a Group Health employee, your role is to deliver on that mission every day by living our values-Customer Focus, Accountability, Innovation, Excellence, and Integrity. You take initiative, set goals, and solve problems while collaborating with friends and colleagues. Together we make a meaningful impact on our community.
In return, Group Health is committed to providing you competitive pay, excellent benefits, and an opportunity to make a difference each day as we strive to reach our vision to be the preferred health care partner by excelling in quality, service, and affordability.
-- Only applications with active credential status of Medical Assistant- Certified or Interim-Medical Assistant Certified with the Washington Department of Health will be considered.--
If you are an experienced Medical Assistant and looking for something different in your nursing career? Want a challenge - to professionally grow and learn?
Be part of an innovative practice team where job satisfaction and variety are the norm not the exception.
Group Health has created exciting opportunities in our Medical Home Model Integrated Practice.
The Medical Assistant:
- Provides direct and indirect nursing care to patients in routine nursing situations, under the direction and supervision of a registered nurse or provider.
- Is an integral member of the healthcare team.
- Functions under the direct supervision of the RN or provider in complex situations in which the patient is unstable or requires urgent or emergent care.
- Team/Practice - manage daily work in electronic in-basket pools, secure staff messages, organize work to promote team/provider efficiency, collaborate with provider for daily needs/schedule coordination, review provider schedule and anticipate needs, keep visits running on time, communicate delays with patients, manage same-day schedule additions, provide support for patient forms completion, stock supplies as needed between patient visits
- Clinic Flow/Office Management - Computer literacy - scheduling software, e-mail, electronic medical records
- Prepare visit per Medical Home Model Standards (MHM)
- Participate in daily huddles: Review reason for visit & last visit summary to anticipate visit support needs. Review daily schedule with provider to identify specific needs for visit.
- Exam room preparation
- Special Needs - Anticipate age-specific needs, anticipate need for special forms, use resources for interpretive services
- Patient Orientation & Check-in: document weight, VS, reason for visit & concerns or questions patient wants provider to address, review current medications & immunizations, add historical meds, coordinate visit with RN when needed for patient education, enter orders when appropriate, communicate with provider regarding special needs, follow policies for patient confidentiality
- Patient Discharge and Visit Completion - Assist patient during and after visit, ensure completion of forms, coordinate care with needed ancillary services, instruct patient for next steps, process specimens as needed, clean & maintain equipment, clean exam room in prep for next patient
- Call and Inbasket Management - follow GH guidelines for call and message handling per scope of practice, follow work flow standards, document call in electronic medical record
- Telephone Management and Follow-up - Recognize urgent/emergency situations and refer appropriate calls to licensed staff as needed, encourage patient to use on-line GH resources when appropriate, conduct follow-up calls, provide preventive care instruction when directed/appropriate, screen messages and forward as appropriate
- Patient Care - Use safety and universal precautions
- Perform nursing procedures per scope of practice - take and record vital signs, postural vital signs and apical pulse, perform EKG (depending on care setting)
- Assist with cast care and removal - recognize cast problems, set up and assist with procedures:
- Female Reproductive System -Set up and assist with: pelvic exam, pap smears, wet prep, cultures, vaginal warts, diaphragm fitting, cervical cap fitting, endometrial biopsy, colposcopy and reproductive implant insertions
- OB/GYN - Assist with monitoring & documenting fetal heart tones using Doppler, under direction
- Perform ear irrigation for wax removal, vision screening test, Tympanogram when appropriate
- Pediatrics - use oral, rectal, transdermal and tympanic thermometer, measure and record head circumference, length/height, weight on infant scale or standing scale, plot and print growth grid, provide consent forms and patient information for immunizations, provide age-appropriate Healthy Kids/Healthy Future handouts
- Other Procedures - Positioning techniques including recovery position, supine, Trendelenberg/reverse Trendelenberg, Sims, Lithotomy/Dorsosacral Position, Fowlers/Semi-Fowlers, Log roll
- Specimen Collection - Urine: Voided/midstream, culture, straining urine, bagged urine. Stool: Hemoccult test, culture ova and parasites. Sputum, expectorated: culture & cytology. Provide patient instruction & travel directions when needed
- Prevention/Chronic Care - Complete outreach assignments, as directed
- Acute Care - Assist with procedures as directed, perform selected nursing procedures
- Referral Management - Processing referrals, reviewing referral status, providing patient with instructions, assist patient in making appointments as appropriate, follow referral guidelines as delegated by the provider, use urgent or emergent designation as directed
Preferred: Family Practice MA experience.
Minimum: Basic or limited knowledge and skills listed on the Group Health Medical Assistant Competencies/Skills Inventory.
Preferred: Knowledge of Patient Centered Integrated Care Model
Minimum: Vocational School/Certificate Program High School/GED. Graduate of accredited program as Medical Assistant.
Minimum: At time of hire Medical Assistant-Certified credential or Interim Medical Assistant-Certified credential. Washington State Department of Health issued credential. Interim credential expires 1 year from date of issuance.
Able to obtain shortly after hire Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification or must obtain within 90 days of hire.
Group Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status.
Job: Medical Assistants
Organization: Primary Care
Primary Location: WA - Kitsap Peninsula-Poulsbo-Poulsbo Medical Center
Bargaining unit: SEIU Service Staff West
Schedule: Per Diem
Shift: Day Job
Days of shift: Variable
Hours of shift: Variable
Job level: Individual Contributor
Job type: Standard
Employee status: Temporary
J2W code: NUR5E
About Group health
GHI is a statewide not-for-profit health insurer serving New Yorkers since 1937. GHI and its wholly-owned subsidiary, GHI HMO, provide health insurance and administrative services to more than 2.6 million people. GHI offers customers a variety of PPO, EPO, HMO, and prescription drug plans. Throughout its history GHI has pioneered many of the programs that are now standard in the health insurance field.