Winemaker - Central Coast
Why E. & J. Gallo Winery
E. & J. Gallo Winery was founded by two entrepreneurs-Ernest and Julio Gallo with a vision to democratize wine in the United States becoming the largest winery in the world. This spirit continues today, where Gallo offers opportunities where we value innovation, collaboration, and creative thinking.
Are you a dynamic individual who can bring a passion for wine, energy and a refined palate to our team? E. & J. Gallo Winery is seeking a Winemaker to join our family. As a Winemaker, you will be responsible for overseeing the production of high quality wine and influencing the full spectrum of the winemaking processes (picking decisions through the bottling process) ensuring maximum productivity and efficiency in creating high quality wines. You will also function as a technical and creative resource in wine and winemaking matters.
What You Will Do
- Cellar Process Management:
- Establish winemaking processes and procedures; creates a "wine plan" that outlines quality and style objectives ensuring that winemaking operations meet expectations
- Utilize the current wine planning system providing direction in the cellar process management of grapes, juices and wines including chemical and ingredient additions, racks, transfers, clarification, blends, shipping and final preparation for bottling
- Maintain product quality and addresses supply/demand fluctuations to help meet product volume goals
- Collaborate with GVI unit managers and ranch team leads to help monitor the growing season efforts while attaining cost and quality goals
- Collaborate with directors, the Vice President of Winemaking, and the finance department to ensure that case volumes, quality and financial goals are achieved
- Participate in the development of the annual winemaking operating and capital expense budget; responsible for adhering to approved budgets, ensuring targets are met within winemaking operations
What You Need
- Bachelor's degree in Biological Engineering, Biology, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Enology, Viticulture, Fermentation Science, Nutritional Science, Food Science or Microbiology plus 7 years of enology, viticulture or winemaking experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility.
- Supervisor or managerial experience
- Required to work extended hours during peak times of the year to ensure wine quality
- Valid driver's license and successful completion of background check. Required to obtain a California driver's license or appropriate state driver's license within 30 days of hire
- Required to identify and articulate variances in wine color by sight and identify wine flavors by taste and smell
- Required to be at least 21 years of age
What Will Set You Apart
- Bachelor's degree in Fermentation Science, Enology, Viticulture, Food Science Biological Engineering, Biology, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or Microbiology plus 9 years of winemaking experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility
- Master's degree
Gallo does not sponsor for employment based visas for this position now or in the future
To view a full job description, please click here.
Job Posting ID: 10702