Executes tasks in support of new wine development projects and wine related research projects which result in the creation of new or improved wine products. Uses wine profiles designed by the new product development project teams; applies knowledge and expertise and executes the production of new wines for the portfolio.
- Works with winemaking management team to develop new wines in support of branded business requirements.
- Partners with production winemaking and wine & grape supply teams to ensure the feasibility of scale-up of newly developed wines.
- Screens and selects wines; develops, formulates and tests new wine products.
- Identifies aromas and flavors in wines; recommends treatments to capture the desired end profile.
- Organizes and participates in wine tasting process; attains wine flavor profiles which meet marketing needs.
- Evaluates the development and the execution practices of new wine products; implements production of new approved wines.
- Conducts and monitors wine stability and long term stability evaluations.
- Participates in the development of appropriate methodology and timeframes needed to develop products, along with consumer insights, marketing and product development, process technology, research and winemaking partners.
- Maintains confidentiality to proprietary information, processes, and wine/product formulations.
- Applies TTB regulatory standards as it pertains to developing new wines.
- Participates in department and interdepartmental planning and management teams; works cross- functionally to develop and implement new wine products, on schedule, within prescribed budget.
- Monitors and helps ensure goal achievements, objectives, and the successful competition completion of project timelines.
- Assesses the product portfolio for diversification and performance, recommends opportunities for growth and improvement and assists in guidance of the development of the individual wine style targets for new brands and products.
- Maintains satisfactory attendance, to include timeliness.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with applicable quality, environmental and safety regulatory considerations. If accountable for the work of others, responsible for ensuring their understanding and compliance.
- This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Master's degree or Bachelor's degree in Enology, Winemaking, Viticulture, Fermentation Science, Plant Science, Food Science, Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Biological Engineering or Chemical Engineering, plus 3 years Enology, Winemaking, Viticulture or Chemistry experience with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Required to lift and move product and equipment weighing up to 45 pounds.
- Required to possess the vision necessary to judge wine color.
- Skilled in the use of MS Word and Excel at a basic level.
- Skilled in reading, analyzing and interpreting common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents.
- Skilled in responding to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community.
- Skilled in writing presentations, speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Skilled in effectively presenting information to top management, public groups and boards of directors.
- Experience executing complex project work with organizational agility in a highly diverse team environment.
- Skilled in applying mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory and factor analysis.
- Master's degree or Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry, Enology, Fermentation Science, Food Science or Microbiology plus 5 years winemaking experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility.
- Computer skill requirements include: intermediate MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Skilled in applying advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations and permutations.
- Experience with defining problems, collecting data, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions.
- Experience with interpreting an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and dealing with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Experience with working under different climatic conditions.
- Experience with carrying out assignments that are broad and difficult in nature, requiring originality and ingenuity.
- Strong working knowledge of all-winemaking equipment, processes and procedures at assigned location(s).
- Broad knowledge of and experience with applying principles, practices and procedures of this particular field of specialization to the completion of difficult assignments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision (Judging Wine Color).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.