About Domincan Hospital Santa Cruz
Working for Dominican Hospital
Dominican Hospital has been an active partner in the Santa Cruz community since 1941, when the Adrian Dominican Sisters began operating the 18-bed center known as Sisters Hospital. From that foundation, we've grown into a full-service healthcare facility that provides 375 acute beds and employs 1,520 people at its main 17-acre hospital and satellite Dominican Rehabilitation Services campus.
Our incredible location-nestled between coastal beaches and redwood forests-has made our hospital a popular career choice for many job candidates. But our setting is not the only draw. needs in an understanding, warm, and friendly manner. Compassionate patient care is our top priority, and the difference shows.
Please take a moment to discover more about what it's like to work here.Our Work Environment
Healthcare professionals are eager to join our talented and dedicated staff, who take pride in providing high-quality, up-to-the-minute patient care. Candidates are also attracted to our team-centered approach, which not only creates an excellent environment for healing, but also makes each employee an important partner in evaluating care options.
Added to this is the appeal of our ongoing commitment to quality, as outlined in our Continuous Performance Improvement (CPI) program. Focused on patients, this program calls for a concerted drive to continually meet and exceed our customers' expectations while achieving the best possible clinical outcomes. If you put patient care above all else, you'll find colleagues who match your commitment at Dominican Hospital.
From the cultural excitement of a world-renowned university and vibrant city, to redwood forests, miles of sandy beaches, and rugged mountains, Santa Cruz is a paradise of contrasts. People who come for the beaches and recreation opportunities stay for the rich history, eclectic shopping and dining, acclaimed arts, and year-round calendar of cultural events for every interest.
Equally attractive, this city of 55,000 enjoys a mild year-round climate, with 300 sunny days a year, summer temperatures in the mid 70s and winter temperatures in the mid 50s. An average rainfall of 31 inches per year drops mainly between November and April
Our competitive salaries are bolstered by an array of benefits to make life better, both on and off the job, for you and your family.
Eligibility for benefits, summarized below, will vary; please consult with a Human Resources representative for full details.
- Medical, dental, vision: 100% HMO plan coverage for the full and part-time (20+ hours) employees and their spouse or domestic partner and dependants
- Life insurance: $10,000 with option to purchase additional coverage
- Dependent and spouse life insurance purchase option
- Long-term disability: 40% of annual salary with option to purchase additional coverage
- Employee assistance program for you and your family
- Paid time off
- Holidays: 7 recognized holidays per year, with 1.5% pay for employees who work these days
- 10 days paid jury duty
- 3 days paid bereavement leave
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $1,000 per year for approved courses
- Personal enrichment education allowance: Up to $100 reimbursement per year
- Career Path Program: Forgivable tuition loan for approved courses with repayment waived if student works at least two years at Dominican in the field trained for
- TSA retirement
- Defined contribution
- Low-interest computer purchase loan
- Discounts on bus passes, amusement parks, Plaza Pharmacy, hospital service, and cafeteria
- Credit union membership
- Employee referral program
Benefits for Nurses
- Benefited part-time positions
- Flexible per-diem program
- New grad opportunities
- Computerized charting
- Opportunities for clinical and managerial growth
Training never stops at Dominican Hospital, where we encourage employees to take advantage of our tuition grant program. This provides up to $1,000 for approved courses for each year of employment with us.
Extra measures, such as our Career Path Program, enable our staff to deepen their knowledge in specific fields and take their careers to new heights. Career Path provides loans for approved training courses for nurses and specified allied health specialists-with no repayment required if the student is hired and works at least two years at Dominican in the field trained for.
An additional training course is designed to help newly graduated nurses transition to active roles in our hospital. This program includes a NCLEX preparation course, unit mentorship, weekly skills classes, and opportunities to work in such specialty units as telemetry care, oncology, and maternal and child health.
In addition to our 24-hour emergency services and walk-in urgent care, we offer our community many specialty care services, providing employees a chance to deepen skills in fields of particular interest to them. A sampling of our specialty areas follows:
- Rehabilitation: We help people with stroke, head injuries, and similar diagnoses regain greater function and independence through coordinated physical, occupational, and speech therapy; social service intervention; rehabilitation nursing; and psychologic, orthotic/prosthetic, and other services as needed.
- Baskin Cardiac Center: You'll help prevent, treat, and aid patients recuperating from heart and blood vessel disease. This is also a chance to join a team that has offered open-heart surgery since 1989, achieving outcomes that compare favorably with the performances of major metropolitan hospitals.
- Maternal and Child Health Services: We ensure the health and well being of mothers and children before and after birth through our family-centered birthing center, newborn intensive care nursery, women's health services, and pediatric subspecialty clinics.
- Sports Medicine Center: This new center offers a comprehensive treatment program-encompassing assessment and evaluation, treatment, physical therapy, preventive care, and education-to help injured athletes recover and get back into action quickly.