No experience
Employment Type:
Part time
Job Category:
Student Trainee (Biological Science Tech)
Department of the Interior | Fort Collins, Colorado
Tell Us More About Your Job Preferences
By telling us what you think of this job, we can help find jobs that match your interests. If you want to see more jobs like this, click on the smiley face. Or if this job isn't what you are looking for, click the frowny face. Learn More...

Follow This Company

Job Description

* Videos
* Duties

HelpDuties Summary

This is an indefinite, Excepted Service appointment that may continue if you continue to meet the eligibility requirements under the Pathways Internship program and funding is available.

Interns may be eligible for non-competitive conversion to permanent employment.

Learn more about this agency


* Lead comprehensive service-wide assessments of terrestrial, aquatic, and/or marine vertebrate and invertebrate and natural resource issues within NPS units.
* Compile current wildlife management tactics and data.
* Identify emergent conservation issues related to natural resource management.
* Establish frameworks and provide logistical and technical support for a service-wide working group focused on key natural resource issues.
* Organize, schedule, and execute a variety of established natural resource management projects.

Travel Required

25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.

Supervisory status


Promotion Potential

7 - 07

* Job family (Series)

0499 Biological Science Student Trainee

* Requirements

HelpRequirements Conditions of Employment

* U.S. Citizenship is not required, provided you are lawfully admitted to the united States as a permanent resident or are otherwise authorized to be employed. However, as a Pathways Program participant, you must be a U. S. Citizen to be eligible for non-competitive conversion to a position in the competitive service.
* Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
* Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males.
* Pathways participant agreement is required.
* You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State issued driver's license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State issued driver's license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists. Lastly, you may be required to submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. Please indicate in your application whether you possess a valid State driver's license.
* The entire period served under the Intern Program counts as a trial period.


To qualify for this position at the grade GS-07 you must meet one of the following:

A. Have at least one full year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility to the GS-05 level in the Federal service (obtained in either the public or private sectors), performing the following: 1) Assisting in planning and organizing marine or terrestrial vertebrate and/or invertebrate field projects; 2) Collecting, organizing and maintaining field data using appropriate procedures and equipment; and 3) Preparing drafts (or portions) of reports including research, descriptions of methods, data analysis, graphs or charts, results, etc. NOTE: This experience should be clearly demonstrated in your resume/supporting documents. You must include hours worked per week.


B. Have successfully completed one year of graduate study concentrated in a field that is directly related to the work of this position, i.e., in environmental sciences, biology, wildlife sciences, ecology, natural resource sciences/monitoring, or other directly-related subject area. You must include transcripts (official or unofficial) with your application.


C. Have an equivalent combination of education and experience which equals 100% of the requirements. For example, you have 6 months of the specialized experience described in A above (50% of the experience requirement), and one-half year (9 semester hours or 14 quarter hours) of graduate study from an accredited institution in the fields described in B above (50% of the qualifying education). Together the total equals 100% of the requirements. You must include transcripts (official or unofficial) with your application.

Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.

You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work and/or volunteer experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as "varies".


To qualify based on education, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Transcripts do not need to be official, but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify, you must provide official transcripts before you begin work.

You will NOT be considered under Pathways unless you provide supporting information from your school. Documentation may be provided in letter format from your academic advisor, school counselor, admission office, etc. to prove enrollment OR it may be provided in the form of several official documents from your school such as a copy of your official transcripts and a copy of your class schedule for next semester. Copies of documents from your school website are acceptable if they contain all relevant information as listed above. Letters from advisors or other school officials must be on school letterhead.

If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet qualification requirements, you must show that your education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.

About Department of the Interior

The Department of the Interior (DOI) is the nation's principal conservation agency. Its mission is to protect America's treasures for future generations, provide access to our nation's natural and cultural heritage, offer recreation opportunities, honor our trust responsibilities to American Indians and Alaska Natives and our responsibilities to island communities, conduct scientific research, provide wise stewardship of energy and mineral resources, foster sound use of land and water resources, and conserve and protect fish and wildlife. Its work affects the lives of millions of people; from the family taking a vacation in a national park to the children studying in Indian schools.

This company profile was created by AfterCollege and is about Department of the Interior. This page is not endorsed by or affiliated with Department of the Interior. For questions regarding company profiles, please email: care@aftercollege.com.