Experience:
Not specified
Concerned about your lack of experience? Learn More...
Employment Type:
Part time
Posted:
9/16/2018
Job Category:
Administration
Office Manager & Zoning Administrator
(This job is no longer available)
Deerfield Township | Mount Pleasant, MI
loading
loading
School
Major
Grad Date
 
 

Not sure what types of jobs you are interested in?


Explore Jobs
Based on Your Education

Follow This Company
Share

Job Description

Deerfield Township is seeking to fill a part time position for Office Manager & Zoning Administrator.

Applicants will be expected to handle day to day operations of the office. Knowledge of planning and zoning and website management is beneficial.


recblid zdr27vyuxqotxstwa84yxtrt8lyh46

About Deerfield Township

Deerfield Township was established May 10, 1803. In April of 1835 the village of Palmyra became the Village of Mason and was incorporated in 1839. The first fire equipment was purchased in 1859. It consisted of 2 ladders, hooks, and buckets. In June of 1889, a wagon was built to carry the fire equipment. In 1892, a new fire engine was purchased from the Howe Pump and Engine Company for $848. That same year in March a resolution was passed to adopt a constitution and bylaws to govern the fire company. J.M. VanDyke was appointed Chief and the fire department name was to be The Mason Fire Department. In 1893, a two story wooden building was constructed and became the first Fire Station as well as the Town Hall and Jail. The first floor and tower was the Fire Station and Jail, the second floor was the Town Hall. It was located at the corner of Main & Northwest Streets. In 1902, the secretary of the fire company began a new record book with the name listed as The Mason Volunteer Fire Engine, Hose and Ladder Company. In 1916, a hand drawn pumper-ladder wagon was purchased. In 1922, a Model-T Ford truck was purchased with chemical tanks, hose reel and ladder hooks and used to pull the fire equipment. In 1928, the volunteer fire company adopted the name Mason Community Fire Department and was trying to operate as a separate entity. An agreement was drawn up which stated that the firemen "will on or about the 28th day of April in the year 1928 furnish the Village of Mason fire protection for a period of one year for the sum of $450". In late December of that year, the village council was busy trying to organize its own fire department. This same year, a 1928 GMC Fire Truck was purchased (later to be called OLD BETSEY). In 1937, firemen received $1.00 a month wage. In 1938, the old Town Hall/Fire Department building was sold, torn down, and the new administration building was built on the same property. In 1939, the firemen moved the equipment into the new administration building where it remained until 1964 when the fire company moved into its own facility at Mason-Montgomery Road and Church Street. In 1948, there was again talk of separating from the village but again postponed. That same year incorporation of the fire company was finally completed and James Knott was elected President of the volunteer company. In 1949, the firemen started keeping two set of books, one labeled Mason Village Fire Company and one labeled Mason Volunteer Fire Company. Both departments had the same members. In 1953, the fire company received its first Artificial Respiration Training and their first Scott Air Pack. In August, a 1947 Cadillac Ambulance was purchased and Francis Girton was named Squad Captain. In 1954, a new Fire Truck was purchased from Howe Fire Apparatus. In 1956, the volunteer fire company purchased a new Cadillac Ambulance from Meteor Corporation for $8,600. In 1958, twelve women joined together to form the fireman's Auxiliary. The fire company responded to 36 fires and 269 ambulance runs in 1959. In March 1961, George Spaeth secretary of the fire company quoted the mayor (in the company records) "from this time forward there will be no Mason Village Fire Company; it will be called The Mason Volunteer Fire Company. At this same time, James Knott was the new Fire Chief. In July 1962, the first talk of a fire company in 20 Mile Stand came up with a meeting of men in that area. In August, the Life Squad won first place in the Ambulance division of the State Fire Convention. In October, the land at Mason-Montgomery Road and Church Street was purchased for a fire station. Plans were accepted for $55,563. The new fire house was opened on June 8, 1964. In 1965, the Life Squad again won first place in the State Fire Convention. On July 20, 1973 The Mason Volunteer Fire Company dedicated its second fire house (the first outside of the City of Mason) on Townsley Drive in 20 Mile Stand. It is now known as Station 57. It was built at a cost of $76,000 and leased to the fire company for $1.00 per year. Prior to the station being built, the southern part of the Township was protected by the Maineville and Loveland Fire Departments under an agreement with the Mason Volunteer Fire Company. On July 30th of that year, the fire company ordered a 75 foot Aerial Tower Truck from the Sutphen Corporation at a cost of about $200,000. It was delivered in 1975 and one of the first big emergencies the aerial tower responded to was the rescue of patrons on the Sky Ride at Kings Island. High winds caused the cables to jump the track at the towers, stranding patrons 75 feet in the air over buildings and a lake. The first Paramedic unit was established in 1980. The unit was a Jeep Commander. It responded with a crew of two medics along with the ambulance. One of our Battalion Chiefs, Doug Koch, was on the first medic run made. In 1983, land on Snider Road was donated by the Hockmouth Family and the fire station built there was named after the family. The Station was the third station for the fire company and is now known as Station 56. That same year an addition was built on Station 57 at Townsley Drive to house the Township Administration Offices. That office space now houses the Fire Chief and the Battalion Chiefs. Unlike many townships, Deerfield Township formed a Fire Prevention Bureau. The Bureau conducted fire safety inspections, fire investigations and fire prevention education to the citizens and businesses in Deerfield Township and the City of Mason. At one point, the Bureau was staffed by six inspectors who were also firefighters for the private fire company. Many of the inspectors were also Paramedics or EMT's. Mason Volunteer Fire Company (the private company) was operated solely by volunteers until part-time staffing was added at Station 57. In 1985, a full-time fire chief, Bill Ennis, was hired and remained the Chief until June 30, 1995. Because of the fact that the costs of insurance and workers compensation were so high for a private company, it was decided to approach the Township with the concern. The Volunteer Fire Company, the Township and the City of Mason decided to form a Joint Fire District to reduce costs. On September 1, 1995, the Mason Deerfield Joint Fire District was formed under the leadership of the new Chief Billy Goldfeder. In the fall of 1998, Mason and Deerfield Township political leaders agreed to dissolve the Joint Fire District and create separate entities. The Deerfield Township Fire Rescue Department was established on the first day of October, and went into operation under the new name and a new Chief, William Kramer. In 2000, land was purchased in the Kings Mills area at the corner of Columbia Road and Kings Mills Road (formally the location of a Gulf Oil Station). A three bay fire station was constructed to cover Kings Mills and the Northwest area of the township. This station, Station 58, is the third fire station in the Township. Fire Chief William Kramer, a retired Assistant Chief from the City of Cincinnati and former Fire Chief of the Indianapolis Airport was Deerfield's first Fire Chief. He was hired after his consulting firm, Kramer and Associates, helped the Township create the Deerfield Township Fire Rescue Department. Chief Kramer's Deputy Chief Nathan Bromen was appointed as the second Fire Chief on January 1, 2006 and served until December 31, 2007. Chris Eisele was then appointed the new Chief and currently serves in that position. Deerfield Township Fire Rescue continues to provide fire protection and emergency medical service to the township residences, businesses and visitors with full-time and part-time fighters who are cross trained as Paramedics and EMT's. There are 98 firefighters who are cross trained in the emergency medical field. We employ 35 career fire fighters-Paramedics and 51 part-time firefighters who are Paramedics or EMT's. The Chief, three Battalion Chiefs, mechanic and administrative personal complete the organization.