As you know, at ConAgra Foods, we make great food - everyday food - in extraordinary ways, which is why we are creating meaningful career opportunities for the best and the brightest.ã
Assists in the management of quality control activities for all phases of production, personnel and laboratory operations. Schedules and assigns workloads; and maintains close rapport with production to identify, solve and prevent problems affecting quality. Directs product quality surveillance of manufacturing areas with possible HACCP monitoring, conducts periodic facility inspections and may perform daily bacteriological environmental inspections in critical plant areas; supervises special inspections for incoming materials, end-of-run products, etc. Coordinates with production in the monitoring of packaging lines for effective control of weights, metal detection, codes and product/package integrity. All procedures and practices used are grounded in standards, regulations and laws addressing occupational safety (OSHA), building and electrical codes, and food safety and food quality (FDA) in addition to environmental safety (EPA) in accordance with Safe Quality Food (SQF) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Direct daily work of Associate Quality Specialist and hourly Lab Technicians in the areas of microbiology, pathogen and analytical testing and sample/inventory control
- Responsible for the ongoing assessment and leadership of activities associated with plant quality control and sanitation programs ensuring that the plant meets quality, cost, delivery, safety and engagement objectives
- Designs, implements, and internally audits all quality control and sanitation protocols to ensure compliance with corporate and regulatory expectations
- Partners with plant and corporate functional entities to provide technical support to plant personnel on issues related to product quality, sanitation and continuous improvement
- Participates in the review of plant policies in a manner demonstrative of a high level of professionalism and orientation to achievement of performance objectives.
- Strives to identify departmental opportunities to reduce cost and increase contribution to the business unit's bottom line through focused budget control and inventory management. Enable/oversee all Chemical/Physical testing that cannot or is not permitted to be done by Production
- Develop Detailed Process Sheets (DPS) for Analytical functions and testing; Rewrite and modify DPS as functions and test methods change
- Perform Quality Control monitoring of Raw materials, Production, and Packaged Product; Stop lines and/or place product on hold as situation merits
- Review immediate analytical testing on incoming ingredients, then release to production as merited
- Perform ongoing Sensory Evaluation of Finished Product and Packaging
- Collect Microbiological and Raw material samples
- Prepare and Review total Analytical Testing packet prior to release
- Ensure calibration and maintenance of lab instrumentation
- Maintain regulatory compliance for food safety programs (i.e. HACCP, SQF) and appropriate prerequisite programs (i.e. traceability, hold and release, metal detection, foreign object controls, sanitation, and allergen)
- Serve as liaison with local, area, and regulatory personnel
- Coordinate with other plant personnel all audits
- Troubleshoot deviations identified through laboratory and in-process testing
- Identify and document the skills, performance opportunities, learning needs, time and attendance of each maintenance mechanic and teaches routinely
- Manage and supervise all OSHA compliance training for quality technicians
- Communicate routinely with Production Manager and plant leadership, identifying opportunities for improvement, training and quality assurance program goals or barriers
- Exudes a high degree of inter-personal skills and has the ability to work well with everyone
- Follows and enforces standards for food safety and food quality production reflected in SQF as well as the regulations of major vendors and governmental agencies such as OSHA, FDA and EPA and assures associates are consistently trained in these standards and comply with all requirements
Manages Associate Quality Specialist; is responsible for the general direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units; Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
KNOWLEDGE, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology or a related field or equivalent work experience
- Five or more years of experience in the Quality Field to include performing quality assurance tests; in a production environment, inspecting products, applying math, computer entry and using laboratory equipment with statistical process control; working in a team environment.
- Requires an in-depth working knowledge of food safety and food quality standards, regulations, and laws governing the food production industry such as SQF and environmental safety regulations along with a commitment to continuous improvement; SQF practitioner preferred
- Requires problem solving skills with an emphasis on detail orientation
- Requires basic mathematical skills to be able to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and count
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Competency in English language (read, write, speak); excellent written, oral, and listening skills.
- Knowledge of regulations of major vendors and governmental agencies such as FDA, OSHA, and EPA
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to effectively present information to top management
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to walk, taste, and smell. The employee is occasionally required to stand; sit; use hands to finger, handle, and feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, and crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and color vision. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; and extreme heat. The noise level is representative of a production environment. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is not intended, and should not be construed to be, an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills efforts, or working conditions associated with the job; it is intended to be an accurate reflection of those principal job elements essential for making decisions related to job performance, employee development, and compensation. The incumbent may perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
ConAgra Foods, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.