Build your career at ConAgra Foods. At ConAgra Foods, we make great food - everyday food - in extraordinary ways, which is why we're creating meaningful career opportunities for the best and the brightest. Whether you're a recent graduate or an experienced professional, ConAgra Foods provides extraordinary job opportunities for growth with competitive salaries and benefits in an exciting, fast-paced workplace.
The Technician I is responsible for safely and efficiently carrying out all duties and responsibilities of the bagging and downstream packaging equipment areas or of the dry roasting process and equipment. Identifies and corrects routine problems; makes adjustments to equipment and processing parameters to produce product within quality guidelines. All Technicians are responsible to each other to work as a team among all areas of the plant, but The Technician I will rotate among the different areas in the packaging or process areas on a regular and frequent basis. This position will report to and is assigned to a scheduled crew (i.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd) working a five day a week work schedule. Generally works independently. Trains new Technicians.
Essential Job Functions: (To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.)
- Operate automatic form and fill packaging machine to packing specifications.
- Positions pallets of case blanks to the line, cuts the banding, removes the wrapping and places in the proper receptacle.
- Fills the machine magazine with case blanks, loads cartons and checks case codes against work sheet.
- Monitors the case/carton packing process, line conveyors, fills glue pots, removes non-conforming product and fixes jams as needed.
- Performs quality checks on bags, packaging, case codes and labels as required.
- Prepares and completes changeover activities.
- Troubleshoots production equipment, conveyors, palletizers, robots, etc. and replaces, repairs, adjusts and modifies electrical, mechanical or hydraulic, pneumatic equipment and performs scheduled preventative maintenance duties as required.
- Performs sanitation of the equipment as well environmental cleaning of the Packaging areas.
- Prepares lines for product materials according to production schedule and any up-coming flavor changes as required.
- Insures finished product delivery system to packaging room stays full.
- Works in a safe manner, wearing personal protective equipment as necessary, and follow all safety rules and procedures.
- Monitors seed flow through the entire roasting system, insuring optimal product flow.
- Adjusts equipment to maximize efficiency and quality, while simultaneously minimizing material loss.
- Monitors temperature, pressure, and time gauges and adjust switches and controls on electrical panel boards as needed.
- Completes dry roaster report and inventory report.
- Samples product, weigh and visually inspect to insure quality of roast, color and salting.
- Calibrates and uses brine salt system and brining process to maintain the proper salt levels according to quality standards.
- Monitors and adjusts roaster temperature and speed controls to control proper product roast attributes maintaining moisture levels within the standard moisture ranges.
- Cleans and changeovers roasters, bins, bucket elevators, cleaning lines, bag off stations preventing cross or mixed product contamination.
- Communicates changes in seed being roasted and sent to packaging room, to Q.A. Inspectors, to insure proper weight control.
- Inspects and hand sorts kernel removing any foreign material and/or off colored seed to scrap collection tubs.
- Starts and stops production feed to the surge hoppers if there is a product quality problem on the belt to protect from contamination and foreign materials.
- Follows confined space entry procedures and practices.
- Cleans up salt dust by vacuuming, sweeping, or blowing.
- Dusts piping and the mechanical lift while elevated in a man-lift 0-25 ft.
- Hooks all 4 corners of super sacks to filling station. Remove on forklift when full.
- Cleans raw seed dust, wax from the raw seed processing area.
- Lifts salt trays weighing up to 40 lbs. and dump into barrels.
- Moves and lifts containers weighing up to 60 lbs.
- Washes dry roaster with hose as required.
- Performs sanitation of the equipment as well environmental cleaning of the process areas.
Other (both areas):
- Prepares and completes changeover activities.
- Adheres to SQF and HACCP requirements.
- Obtains supplies required to perform the work and prepare for operations.
- Checks the production schedule for up-coming products and set-up machinery as required.
- Performs daily safety checks of the assigned Forklifts in accordance with company policy.
- Performs general housekeeping duties in work area and on the forklift and charges battery on forklift as needed.
- Performs appropriate end-of-shift procedures, secures all equipment and machinery, picks up and puts away tools / organizes tool box, completes all required paperwork and confers with next shift's crew.
- Assists other crew members with breaks as needed.
- Maintains work area in a clean and organized manner; wipes down machine and places trash in proper receptacles to maintain safe work area.
- Completes proper documentation
- Performs equipment maintenance (both breakdown and preventative)
- Performs environmental cleaning tasks.
- Makes necessary preparations for the next cleaning/maintenance phase
- Rebuilds components used in the area
- Enters data into the quality database (Infinity)
- Reacts appropriately to area safety problems.
- Communicates safety /quality / operational issues to proper departments or responsible parties
- Effectively participates in shift handoffs (oncoming and off-going)
- Enters data correctly into SAP for usage of materials and maintenance activities.
- Accurately details daily activities in the logbook.
- Troubleshoots, debugs, and resolves problems with equipment as needed. If resolution is beyond scope of his/her skill level, seeks assistance from other employees, including Team Leader or Line Leader.
- Provides training to other employees.
- Accurately checks parts out of and returns to stockroom utilizing SAP to ensure stockroom inventory accountability.
- Prepares, writes and updates Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's), Job Safety Analyses (JSA's), and other technical documentation.
- Supports integration of new methods or technology being installed and/or new or modified product testing/optimization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Two-year technical degree (i.e., documented training/education in areas of power distribution, instrumentation, basic pneumatics, drives, servos, basic hydraulics, blueprint reading, and PLC control); OR technical training in the military with a minimum rank of E-5; OR seven (7) years documented work experience in skills noted above plus high school diploma or equivalent; OR completion of plant's Technician-in-Training program
- Requires acknowledge of basic mechanical principles, math and reading skills, safe lifting techniques, and the ability to drive a forklift.
- Experience with personal computers, programs and data entry.
- Read, write and comprehend English
- Plan, organize, and schedule work independently
- Ability to communicate effectively and develop rapport with internal and external customers
- Comprehend and use technical vendor manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's)
- Ability to read and use instrumentation (temperature, pressure, etc.)
- Knowledge of pneumatics/hydraulics, motors/drives/gearboxes/power transmission Systems
- Demonstrated ability to use tools including precision, hand, and powered
- Consistently identify, track, and resolve enhancements to work procedures or methods
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work in a team environment
- Position works in a manufacturing environment. Job incumbent must be able to work in areas that are hot or cold, surfaces may be slippery, climb ladders/stairs, or work in tight quarters.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color, and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus.
- The work environment is a production facility with moderate noise levels.
- Ability to hear and respond to audible alarms and signals
- Ability to lift and carry 60 lbs. frequently
ConAgra Foods, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
About Conagra Foods
ConAgra Foods, Inc. (ConAgra Foods) is a food company, supplying frozen potato and sweet potato products, as well as other vegetable, spice, and grain products to a variety of restaurants, foodservice operators and commercial customers. The Company operates in two segments: Consumer Foods and Commercial Foods. On April 12, 2010, the Company acquired Elan Nutrition, Inc. (Elan), a privately held formulator and manufacturer of snack and nutrition bars. In June 2010, it acquired the assets of American Pie, LLC, a manufacturer of frozen fruit pies, thaw and serve pies, fruit cobblers and pie crusts under the licensed Marie Callender?s and Claim Jumper trade names, as well as frozen dinners, pot pies, and appetizers under the Claim Jumper trade name. In July 2010, it completed the sale of substantially all of the assets of Gilroy Foods & Flavors dehydrated garlic, onion, capsicum and Controlled Moisture, GardenFrost, Redi-Made, and fresh vegetable operations.