Colgate-Palmolive is a leading global consumer products company, tightly focused on Oral Care, Personal Care, Home Care and Pet Nutrition. Colgate sells its products in over 200 countries and territories around the world under such internationally recognized brand names as Colgate, Palmolive, Mennen, Softsoap, Irish Spring, Tom's of Maine, Ajax, Fabuloso, Haci Sakir, elemex and Suavitel, as well as Hill's Science Diet and Hill's Prescription Diet.
Location: Schaumburg, Illinois, United States
No Relocation Assistance Offered
Global Experience – taking part in global strategies and/or assignments in our international divisions or subsidiaries
Constant Challenge – working with multiple teams and business units while developing and advancing within one global company
Development Opportunities – achieving immediate responsibility and exposure to management
Work/Life Effectiveness – fulfilling your personal needs and interests as you meet professional goals
Colgate-Palmolive Customer Development Organization
Well Respected – Ranked by our retail customers as a top tier selling organization in all critical customer interaction criteria (Source: Advantage Survey)
Cutting Edge – Extensive and ongoing training to ensure our people are constantly growing in the fast paced Consumer Products industry
Cross Functional Teams – working as a team to deliver cross functional expertise to our customers
Powerful Portfolio – Armed with global brands, powerful marketing and the very latest technological tools and information
Long Term Career Development – A individual development plan designed for you
- Active trade development, as necessary, to penetrate the market place.
- Direct and translate brand strategies into maximum sales results, market share, and financial return.
- Develop necessary Customer Marketing strategies, inclusive of consumer insights, to yield go to market bundles required to pursue new retail environments.
- Effective management of all budgets.
- Influence the customer(s) to grow sales, improve service and identify supply chain efficiencies by utilizing new techniques, tools, and information systems.
- Manage relationships between Colgate and assigned key accounts to ensure maximum profitability and to build growth.
- Communicate and execute Colgate’s Corporate and Brand Strategies with the accounts.
- Work in concert with broker partners, at assigned accounts, to ensure efficiencies and manage information flow to third party retail team.
Colgate Business Planner Responsibilities:
Role in Customer Planning/ Pre-Evaluation
- Lead development of long lead, joint, "win-win" business plans (baseline and promotions) covering sales, volume, and profitability at PPG/SKU level, and incorporating customers' objectives and strategy.
- Conduct rigorous re-evaluation of 5P activities using what-if analysis, and draw upon other team resources (e.g. input from Finance Manager/Supply Chain Manager).
- Present preliminary business plans to customers and refine the plans with their input. Conduct pre return on investment analysis.
- Allocate total commercial investment for customers into 5P activities aligned with the Retail Environment/Brand Strategies.
- Develop action plans to close customer gaps and seek approval from Customer Development Team Leader/consensus meeting.
- Identify ongoing profitability implications of customer plans for customers, and share insights/ solutions with customers (when desirable).
- Update customer plans to reflect changing retail and competitive environment.
- Lead development of action plans to close customer gaps and seek approval from Customer Development Team Leader/ consensus meeting.
Role in Customer Execution
- Monitor compliance of 5P activity execution against established agreements/objectives and track interim performance of 5P activities to identify shortfalls/potential upsides against established objectives.
- Identify causes of 5P activities performance, both internal and external, to Colgate for Plan Optimization.
- Develop and pre-evaluate corrective action plans for 5P activities; seek approval and execute as required.
- Resolve pricing issues when Hub requires assistance.
- Gain approval from customers to execute 5P activities and attach the Deal Sheets to the events including any revisions.
Role in Post Evaluation
- Collect information on the external environment (e.g. competitor activity) during the promotion period.
- Conduct post evaluation analysis based on activity details and compare results with pre-evaluation analysis, reconcile any potential differences. Conduct post return on investment analysis.
- Identify insights from post evaluation analyses and incorporate learning into future customer/Retail Environment strategy.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Account Penetration - Penetrate all aspects of the account(s) at all appropriate levels in order to grow the accounts’ and Colgate’s business in a profitable manner.
- Use knowledge of retail environment requirements, to plan programs which are mutually profitable for Colgate and the retail environment.
- Coordinate semi-annual, or as needed, account planning process to optimize Colgate brands’ consumption and profitability.
- Develop and execute detailed six month account plans that generate funds to increase account volume and Colgate market share. Report results to district and regional management.
- Use state of the art computer technology to plan, analyze and forecast account business needs.
- Category Management - Communicate knowledge and association of emerging trends based on the customers’ vision and goals.
- Manage distribution to attain all key performance indicators’ to include average days to pay, Deductions, and Case Fill.
- Financial Management - Manage all financial resources in order to positively impact business objectives and profitable growth.
- Resource Utilization - Efficiently manage technology, support groups, and net variable overhead.
- Merchandising/Selling Colgate-Palmolive - Align Colgate’s strengths with customers’ vision, portray professional example to personnel and retail environment, communicate corporate successes and strategies to all levels within account(s).
- Strategic Execution - Implement overall business strategies to ensure that the Customer Development Organization meets or exceeds corporate objectives.
- Business Development – Focus on growth strategies to develop and increase sales in alternate/under-developed customers, as assigned.
- Responsible for all selling functions related to maximizing sales growth and profitability for major / key distributors in their area, as assigned.
- Responsible for sales meetings with redistributors, key and GIP sales forces.
- Responsible for order accuracy via pricing template that ensures accurate tracking of account profitability.
- Conduct checks at store level to troubleshoot problems and monitor competitive activity.
- Accountable to volume objectives within planned customer spend budget.
- Innovation – Champion new initiatives to challenge the way things have always been done.
- Approach new retail environments with curiosity and open-mindedness and stimulate creative ideas from others in Marketing, Finance, Supply Chain and Consumer Insights to cost effectively deliver the necessary unique bundles as required.
- Present and sell programs to the customer and to district and regional management.
- Team Building- Anticipate and minimize organizational obstacles to integrate planning efforts across work units to deliver bundles.
- Work with Marketing in the development of promotional materials.
- Work with Planning / Marketing in all Big Hits in district.
- Strategy/Vision- Develop strategies and tactics to enhance competitiveness in alternate retail environments.
- Influence/Negotiation- Stimulate others to take actions to effectively win support from others.
- Manage customer relationships vertically and horizontally in assigned accounts partnering with account.
- Manage accounts sales volume and promotional spending vs. Budget.
- Work with the account to achieve category and sales goals.
- Develop and implement account knowledge/learning and customizes to assigned accounts.
- B.A./B.S. Degree, MBA desired
- 2-4 years minimum experience as a Unit Business Manager or Business Analyst
- 2-3 years similar Consumer Product sales industry background, or experience in key account experience
- Prior experience with syndicated data (Nielsen/IRI) highly preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft office and strong Excel skills required
Are you interested in working for Colgate-Palmolive? You can apply to work with us using this online application. Attach all relevant documents such as a cover letter and resume or CV. Applications received by e-mail are not considered in the selection process.
Become part of our team. We look forward to your application.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Colgate is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.