PUBLIC SAFETY DISPATCHER
Position Title: PUBLIC SAFETY DISPATCHER
Posting Date: Monday, September 18, 2023
Closing Date: Monday, October 2, 2023
Department: Newport Police Department
Brief Job Description:
(essential functions of the job)
- Monitor officers and their status to ensure officer safety.
- Answer multiple phone lines including police emergency and nonemergency lines, as well as direct lines from the Newport Hospital ER and Fire Department.
- Dispatch appropriate responders using radio, mobile computers and telephones.
- Ensure current data is entered into computer system.
- Conduct checks of DMV records, NCIC/RILETS and Criminal History records.
- Research information and contact people for officers on calls using inhouse computers, internet and other agencies.
- Maintain various department logs & records.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications:
- HS or equivalent degree.
- Working knowledge of public safety emergency telecommunications practices and procedures as well as state and federal regulations.
- Knowledge of the geography of the City.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a detailed and effective manner and often under stressful, emergency conditions; ability to establish effective working relations with employees.
- Ability to maintain calm demeanor and multi-task (i.e. the monitoring of multiple computer screens) under stressful emergency conditions in a detailed and timely manner.
- Ability to transcribe and interpret information from monitor screens & respond in a timely and accurate manner in accordance with department protocols.
- Proficient and clear oral and written communication skills with employees and the public; proficient data processing (use of a personal computer and office software) and organization skills.
- Evening shift is likely upon completion of the initial training period.
- Must be able to work evenings and holidays.
Pay and Hours Per Week
AFSCME Pay Grade: U3
Minimum Hrly Salary: $23.97
Maximum Hrly Salary: $28.06
Hours per week: 40
Submit the completed application to:
Michael J. Coury, Director of Human Resources
Department of Human Resources
City Hall – 43 Broadway
Newport, Rhode Island 02840
An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED DURING THE POSTING PERIOD INDICATED OR AS THE NEED EXISTS FOR THE POSITION CURRENTLY VACANT. APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE AND ALSO ON THE INTERNET WHERE IT CAN BE DOWNLOADED AND PRINTED. THE CITY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO NOT CONSIDER APPLICATIONS THAT ARE RECEIVED UNSIGNED, INCOMPLETE, OR POST-MARKED AFTER THE CLOSING DATE.