|The Business Entity |
Piston Cloud Computing, now part of Cisco, provides software that enables streamlined operational deployment of large scale distributed systems. Piston's enterprise grade software helps customers automate orchestration and deployment of underlying distributed systems for running applications on OpenStack.
The CloudOS team develops software that enables push-button deployment of Big Data services such as Hadoop, Yarn, and Spark, container orchestration solutions including Kubernetes, Mesos, and Docker Swarm, as well as private cloud platforms such as OpenStack. You can seamlessly re-allocate resources to multiple frameworks and services across the data center, on the fly, and ensure optimization of your infrastructure. Piston CloudOS gives you the power to monitor, adjust, scale, and optimize your cluster, giving unprecedented visibility into your datacenter resources.
Roles and Responsibilities
This Distributed Systems Engineer is an individual contributor with the primary responsibility for developing key components of Cisco’s core CloudOS distributed data center operating system. The successful candidate will be able to take on the design and implementation of distributed systems software that solves the problems inherent with massive scalability. This position requires deep familiarity with distributed configuration, high-availability, and consensus technologies. We are seeking a self-motivated individual who enjoys a dynamic working environment, always finds themselves at the center of projects, and believes untested code is broken code.
● Develop enterprise software that builds IaaS (infrastructure as a service) clouds.
● Work closely with the Principal Engineer and engineering staff to ensure the scalability of new CloudOS features.
● Develop and maintain new orchestrated infrastructure services.
● Implement and maintain new automation features.
● Extend functionality of our existing state machine implementations.
Experience with the following subject areas:
● Developing distributed systems software.
● Complex algorithm analysis, implementation, and optimization
● Concurrency, threading, and parallel algorithm implementation.
● History of being an integral member of an engineering team working on the development of IT infrastructure products.
● High proficiency in Python.
● Object-oriented programming design and concepts; solid understanding of object-oriented design and the application of design patterns.
● Coding and scripting in a Linux (preferably Red Hat) environment.
● DevOps software development and deployment methodologies in a public and/or private cloud environment.
● Distributed algorithms such as Lamport clocks, vector clocks, virtual synchrony, gossip protocols, Paxos protocols, eventual consistency, CAP theorem.
● Expert level knowledge and implementation experience with state machines.
● Concentration on distributed storage or layer 2/3 networking a plus.
● BS + 5 years or MS + 3 years in a relevant CS field (or equivalent experience).
● Self-starter who will take responsibility and do what it takes to get the job done with minimal direction.
● A team player who can share and learn from others, but at the same time be able to work very independently.
● Demonstrated commitment to excellence/diligence. High professional standards.
● Strong written and verbal communication skills. Able to communicate to peers and management.
● String quantitative and analytical skills, including a sense of intellectual honesty.
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it's transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. We are pioneers and have been since the early days of connectivity. Today, we are building teams that are expanding our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine creating unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will impact everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.