CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services market by technology industry analyst firms. The company is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and hosted IT solutions for enterprise customers. CenturyLink provides data, voice and managed services in local, national and select international markets through its high-quality advanced fiber-optic network and multiple data centers for businesses and consumers. CenturyLink is an S&P 500 company and is included among the Fortune 500 list of America's largest corporations.
This is a shift position, Sunday - Wednesday, 10 PM - 8 AM, Pacific time
- Demonstrate understanding of customer's applications and components associated with each application after in depth training and formal on boarding.
- Single point of contact for all customer communications and escalations.
- Thorough understanding of Monitoring Tools, IT standard operating procedures (SOP), work instructions (WI) and Server support documentation for Network Operations Center (NOC).
- Provide training and mentoring to other team members as they progress in mastering their professional skills and as they learn company and industry best practices
- A strong team player who is accountable towards business urgency, work in shifts to provide onsite 24x7 coverage to customer, be flexible to work beyond stipulated hours
- Participate in 24x7 on call support rotation schedule.
- Answer the dedicated NOC phone line, create tickets based on customer requests
- Build, configure, deploy, and maintain servers running Microsoft Windows Server 2008. Perform basic troubleshooting and escalate to appropriate teams as needed
- Actively participate in implementations, migrations, 24x7 support on all turnkey project to all levels of hosting, operations, service level delivery
- Analyze and report on network, server and application alerts generated by the monitoring tools (Netcool, Tivoli, HP Open View, Site Watch and Performance Monitor).
- Monitor the Outlook Inbox and ITSM/Maximo/Remedy ticket queue, act as first line of contact for all trouble ticket issues, respond to customer requests, trouble tickets and other scheduled activities within the SLA requirements
- Provide input to shift reports and coordinate hand-over of incomplete activities to the next shift engineers. Maintain the Shift Log and deliver the report to customer distribution list
- Responsible for understanding contractual SLA's and accountable for ensuring SLA compliance during the covered shift.
- Attend all customer change management calls, crisis center calls, report all alerts to the NOC Lead and the customer Crisis Center, engage engineering resources as needed
- Responsible for taking servers in and out of GTM load balancer, rebooting servers, caching the servers and putting them back into production. Responsible for monitoring tape backups daily and performing tape rotation on a monthly basis.
- Using customer custom scripts to make critical changes, verify and validate server answer file prior to using scripts.
- Responsible for hardware parts replacement using on site spares. Co-ordinate activities with local operations teams in different data centers for break-fix/hardware replacements.
- Working with equipment vendors to get RMA faulty equipment and maintaining spares inventory. Interface with partners and vendors such as Cisco, HP, ILX and EMC to perform needed support
- Manage access to various cages in different data centers.
- Technical knowledge and understanding of internet architecture and technology solutions involving HP/Dell blade servers, EMC, LTM load balancers and Cisco routers and switches
- Experienced with Microsoft Windows 8/ windows server 2008, command line and GUI utilities, basic configuration of HP CX 7000 chassis and virtual connects
- Experienced with various monitoring tools and ability to perform basic troubleshooting such as Restart IIS, reboot servers, review system and application logs, send logs as requested
- Basic understanding of application flow, IIS and DNS, be able to make DNS changes
- Understand and be able to use utilities such as nslookup, ping, traceroute, pinch.
- Working knowledge and/or understanding of server automation with emphasis on unattended installs (operating systems, custom applications) using computer associates Desktop server manager.
- Racking, stacking and cabling of equipment. Initiative and ability to work in a self-directed manner with a working knowledge of protocols such as TCP/IP, ICMP, SOAP, UDP, NTP, SMTP, SNMP,RDP
- Excellent phone and written communication skills, ability to articulate the changes requested on change management calls into actionable items by communicating up stream as well as downstream
- Self-starter requiring to work with little or no direction
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities. Ability to follow through and bring closure to open incidents
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor under pressure like conditions
- Certification(s) in areas of expertise MCP, MCSE or higher
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years relevant experience in NOC/production support environment (preferably in the financial vertical)
- Bachelors or equivalent experience required.
- DICE 1
Alternate Location: Santa Clara, CA (California)
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions - including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television - provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.