Littleton Adventist Hospital is a 231-bed, full-service medical center that has provided compassionate health care and quality treatment for more than 20 years. Our medical teams specialize in cardiology, orthopedics, neurology, cancer care, stroke care, imaging services, as well as women’s and children’s services. The hospital is home to a Level III B NICU, a Level II Trauma Center and a nationally accredited breast center. Located in the Denver/Aurora suburb of Littleton, CO, the area is a great place to live and work with residential neighborhoods, plentiful shopping, exceptional dining, the charm of old town Littleton, and abundant outdoor space with trails, nature centers and golf courses throughout. The hospital’s culture is one of shared governance, development opportunities, community service and support for one another. Our many awards include Best Regional Hospital for Urology Care – U.S. News and World Report 2012-2013, Healthgrades recognition for specialty Coronary Care (2012), national certification by the Joint Commission for Acute Coronary Care, and more. For more information about Littleton Adventist Hospital, visit http://www.mylittletonhospital.org.
Job Description/Job Posting ID: 52282
Recruiter Contact: Linda Davis (LindaDavis@Centura.org)
Clinic/Department: LAH PHARMACY
Hospital: LITTLETON ADVENTIST HOSPITAL
Schedule: This position is PRN or Per Requested Need. Hours will vary depending on candidate’s availability and the needs of the department. This position is not eligible for benefits. Availability to work overnight shifts on occasion is strongly preferred.
This position is PRN or Per Requested Need. Hours will vary depending on candidate's availability and the needs of the department. This position is not eligible for benefits. Availability to work overnight shifts on occasion is strongly preferred. Experience working as a Pharmacy Tech in an inpatient hospital setting strongly preferred. PTCB certification required.
Assist pharmacists in promoting an organized and functional pharmacy service. Prepares medications for dispensing and maintains records.
- High school diploma or equivalent
Work Experience Requirements
- 1 year hospital or retail pharmacy experience as applicable (completion of an Accredited Technician training course may substitute for experience)
- Working knowledge of computer systems.
Position Duties (essential functions, INCLUDE % OF TIME)
MEDICATION DISPENSING - 40%
- Accurately and in a timely manner fills unit dose cart, floor stock, medication orders, and delivers to patient care areas to ensure availability of ordered drugs and supplies. Is knowledgeable in the use and stocking of automated medication cabinets.
- Accurately prepares I.V. admixtures, using sterile technique.
- Accurately and in a timely manner, prepares prescriptions for pharmacist review and dispensing.
- Accurately compounds specialty items.
- Pre-packages and labels bulk medications for unit dose / unit of use dispensing with computer and associated equipment.
- Checks floor stock and / or pharmacy stock for outdates, overstock, and proper storage on a monthly basis to ensure the use of high quality medications.
- Maintains cost effective inventory of bulk items, utilizing soon to expire items quickly, and decreasing overstock of inventory.
- Demonstrates technical skill level in utilizing a variety of pharmaceutical competencies including, but not limited to, calculations, aseptic technique and cytotoxic drug properties.
DOCUMENTATION - 40%
- Maintains patient and other records using pharmacy computers and manual systems to ensure timely and accurate patient billings and compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Facilitates maintenance of adequate supplies by logging needs in Want book.
- Processes daily IV slips, assisting the administrative secretary with workload statistics.
COMMUNICATION - 20%
- Alerts pharmacy director, coordinator, clinical coordinator, or pharmacist of immediate problems requiring corrective action in a timely manner.
- Screens nursing and physician inquiries and phone calls by directing to appropriate pharmacist to ensure accurate and timely communication.
- Performs special projects, including the training of new technicians and overseeing their activities, and other activities as assigned to increase and improve level of service, skill level, and productivity.
- Attains professional growth by attending or participating in a minimum of 10 hours of continuing education annually.
* This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned.
Important notification to applicants as of Nov. 20, 2014: Effective Jan. 1, 2015, Centura Health will no longer hire tobacco users in Colorado and Kansas. The change to our policy does not apply to associates hired on or before Dec. 31, 2014. Centura Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.