CSU Job Listing Details
E-Mail this listing
Job ID: 103018 - 16/17
November 3, 2016
Open until filled
Link to Apply Online:
Campus Employment Homepage:
DEPARTMENT OF MARITIME POLICY AND MANAGEMENT
Baccalaureate Program in Global Studies and Maritime Affairs
Professor and Chair of Global Studies and Maritime Affairs
Approximate Starting Date: August 2017
Although this position will remain open until filled, review of applications will begin immediately. Applicants expecting to be considered must complete their online application and submit requested materials to Human Resource by close of business day on December 9, 2016 to receive priority consideration.
California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) invites nominations and applications for the position of Professor and Chair of the Department of Global Studies and Maritime Affairs (GSMA). GSMA is poised for growth in both current and new programmatic areas as it embarks on a new future as a separate department. The university seeks a dynamic and strategic academic leader with a background in International Relations/Security to build program expertise in Security Studies. Candidates with experience in cyber and/or maritime security are particularly encouraged to apply. The ideal candidate will articulate a clear and compelling vision for the department's future and work collaboratively with a small, enthusiastic, multi-disciplinary faculty to expand the baccalaureate program in Global Studies and Maritime Affairs.
Applicants should be suitable for appointment at the rank of tenured Full Professor and hold a PhD in Political Science, Security Studies, International Relations or a closely related field. In addition to a strong record of scholarship and teaching, the ideal candidate will also have prior experience in departmental leadership including budgeting, course scheduling, promotion and tenure evaluation, and other administrative responsibilities expected at the Chair level.
ABOUT CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY (Cal Maritime): Located on a compact but scenic waterfront campus in Vallejo, California (30 miles northeast of San Francisco), California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) is a unique and specialized campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system. Serving a population of approximately 1100 undergraduate and 50 graduate students, we are one of only seven degree-granting maritime academies in the United States - and the only one on the West Coast. Cal Maritime offers six baccalaureate degrees in Business Administration, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs (GSMA), Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, and Marine Transportation. The undergraduate curriculum includes licensing programs for future merchant marine, coast guard and naval reserve officers. Cal Maritime also offers a Master of Science in Transportation and Engineering Management degree. For more information about California State University Maritime Academy, please visit our web page at http://www.csum.edu.
Our programs focus on intellectual learning, applied technology, leadership development, and global awareness. Cal Maritime students participate in training cruises aboard the Training Ship Golden Bear or other international educational experiences, gaining a unique perspective on our increasingly global culture and economy. Cal Maritime is committed to being a leading educational institution recognized for excellence in the business, engineering, operations, security and policy of the transportation industries of the Pacific Rim and beyond. We are equally committed to hiring and retaining diverse and dedicated faculty and staff who lead the way in helping our students expand their knowledge and potential.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Perform the leadership role and tasks of a Department Chair
* Teach undergraduate courses for the GSMA major in security studies, maritime security, cybersecurity, international relations, and/or US foreign policy
* Develop undergraduate courses in the candidate's areas of research and scholarly expertise
* Engage in research and scholarship on issues relevant to international security and maritime affairs
* Share in the duties of academic advising
* Participate in the three-week summer international experience required of students in the major
* Participate, as appropriate, in the planning and implementation of additional degree programs
* Doctoral degree in an appropriate field such as political science, security studies, international relations or other field in which the candidate has a demonstrated international security or cybersecurity specialty and the ability to adapt to a maritime focus in support of the emphases of the GSMA major
* Suitable teaching and scholarship experience for the appointment as Full Professor
* Pedagogical versatility with demonstrated ability in the use of teaching techniques that ensure both student engagement and active learning
* Strong collaboration and communication skills for working with colleagues in the program and with campus leaders
* Strong motivation to participate in new and growing degree programs, and to undertake the commitments necessary to make this growth a reality
* Commitment to engage in course design, pedagogy, and scholarship on issues relevant to the university.
SALARY COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with the education, qualifications and experience of the individual.
BENEFITS: An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available for qualifying positions which includes medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, retirement plans, fee waiver, vacation and sick leave.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Typical classroom and office environment are in a two-story building with elevator access.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK:
* Applicants must provide proof of US citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days from the date of hire.
* A background check investigation (including criminal records check) is required prior to employment. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
* Applicants must submit on hire official documentation as proof of degree, license, or certificates as required.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested parties must submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application packet of information requested below. Apply on-line at http://www.csum.edu/web/hr/fel
1.Cal Maritime Employment Application (required)
2.Letter of interest including a statement of leadership philosophy
5.Letters of recommendation from three professional references to be sent directly to Dr. Nipoli Kamdar (firstname.lastname@example.org), Department of Maritime Policy and Management, 200 Maritime Academy Drive, CA 94590
NOTIFICATION: Based upon a review of applications and accompanying documents, only those persons whose qualifications best match job requirements will be interviewed. Applicants not selected for an interview will be notified only after the position closes and the successful candidate has been selected.
DISCLAIMER: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or changed.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/MINORITIES/FEMALES/VETERANS/INDIVIDUALS WITH A DISABILITY
About California State University
The California State University offers unlimited opportunities to help students fulfill their personal and professional goals. At our 23 campuses, students can choose from more than 1,800 bachelor's and master's degree programs in 240 subject areas. The CSU offers institutes and outreach programs that take the university's talent and resources out into California's communities. Additionally, a wide range of support services and scholarship programs are available to help students reach their goals. Explore our programs and see for yourself why the CSU is a leader in high-quality, accessible, student-focused higher education.