Primary Location: Jackson, Mississippi
Employment Status: Full-Time
Armstrong Flooring, a division of Armstrong World Industries, Inc. has a job opportunity for a Process Engineer to be located in Jackson, MS. Reporting to the Plant Manufacturing Manager, the Process Engineer will be working with the Plant Manager, Manufacturing Manager, and Maintenance Manager developing and implementing effective systems that ensure the plant delivers on its promises on Safety, Quality, Service and Cost. Additionally, the Process Engineer will manage capital projects and seek to integrate process improvement methodologies into plant operations.
Key Responsibilities of the Process Engineer:
- Working with business leaders to identify and scope new process improvement opportunities in the areas of quality, cost, performance, and preventive and predictive maintenance
- Developing and maintaining detailed process maps, metrics, and control plans for key manufacturing processes
- Managing and executing process improvement projects using appropriate PI tools and methodologies, such as Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, 5S, etc.
- Evaluating process capabilities and monitoring manufacturing performance for quality, adherence to process specifications, operation of equipment, and progress against schedules
- Assisting with improving the cost structure within the value-added process, reducing total manufacturing costs, and meeting or exceeding period and direct expense budget targets
- Developing and implementing process control initiatives which includes the utilization of SPC Methods to analyze and reduce process variability
- Participating in Lean efforts, such as Kaizen events, where an emphasis is placed on creativity before capital investment
- Actively supporting and executing the Corporate and Plant Quality Initiative
- Executing Capital Projects, ensuring costs, schedule, and performance goals are met or exceeded
- Developing and delivering project presentations to all levels of management
- Identifying training needs and providing training and coaching to improve operational efficiencies
- Working with equipment and raw materials suppliers and trade groups to identify new technology for improving product performance and cost reduction
- Working with the plant personnel to identify and troubleshoot processing issues, take corrective actions as appropriate
- Evaluating/Optimizing raw material changes to impact on process
- Leading/Managing plants new product development process including training and supervision
Required Qualifications for the Process Engineer:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Chemical or Manufacturing Engineering
- 2+ years of process improvement experience in a manufacturing environment
- 2+ years of leading and executing Lean or Six Sigma process improvement projects
- Strong facilitation and project management skills and ability to lead cross-functional teams
- Knowledge of Process Improvement methodologies, such as Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, 5S, Business Process Management, etc.
- Excellent analytical, communications and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in computer applications, including MS Office
- Strong Mechanical Aptitude
Desired Qualifications for the Process Engineer:
- Six Sigma Green Belt certification
- Experience with Preventive and Predictive Maintenance systems
- Experience with Minitab
- PLC Programming Experience
- Capital Project Management
About the Location (Jackson, MS)
The Jackson, MS Plant is a key strategic player in the manufacturing of resilient tile flooring and is one of six US vinyl flooring plants in the division. Located in south central Mississippi in the heart of the "Hospitality State", the City of Jackson is home to more than 425,000 people and offers the perfect blend of old and new. Historic sites, galleries, museums, excellent outdoor lifestyle opportunities, sports, and arts and entertainment, there's no shortage of things to see and do in Jackson!
Established in 1860, Armstrong World Industries, Inc. is a multi-billion dollar global leader in the design and manufacture of floors and ceilings with a focus on innovation, design, and environmental sustainability. Based in Lancaster PA, Armstrong serves both the residential and commercial markets operating plants and distribution centers in eight countries with over 9,000 employees worldwide.
- Standard benefit package offerings: Medical, dental, prescription drugs, life insurance
- Long term disability coverage
- Vacation and sick time
- Product discount programs.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Armstrong is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vets.
Notice to Staffing Agencies, Placement Services, and Professional Recruiters
Armstrong World Industries, Inc. has an internal Staffing Department. Recruiters are hereby specifically directed NOT to contact Armstrong employees directly in an attempt to present candidates.
Armstrong will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Armstrong, including unsolicited resumes sent to an Armstrong mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Armstrong employees, or to Armstrong's resume database will be considered Armstrong property. Armstrong will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Armstrong will consider any candidate for whom a Recruiter has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Recruiter free of any charges or fees.
Armstrong will not pay a fee to any Recruiter that does not have a signed Armstrong contract in place specific to the position for which the resume was submitted.
Recruiting vendor agreements will only be valid if in writing and signed by Armstrong's Corporate Talent Acquisition Manager or his or her designee. No other Armstrong employee is authorized to bind Armstrong to any agreement regarding the placement of candidates by Recruiters. By submitting a candidate to Armstrong, recruiters agree to be bound and comply with this policy.