Armstrong Flooring (AFP), a division of Armstrong World Industries, Inc. has a job opportunity for a Manufacturing Process Engineer to be located at our Corporate Headquarters in Lancaster, PA. The Manufacturing Process Engineer provides specialized expertise needed to maintain and improve production efficiencies and quality. Additionally, this position is tasked to support new product introductions and will participate in the development process. Candidates with knowledge and experience with green chemistry as it relates to monomers, oligomers and polymers are desired. It is critical for the candidate to have coatings and materials process experience from prototyping through manufacturing. The Process Engineer also provides expert chemistry and process advice and recommendations to the team and key operations leadership to help solve problems and deliver results on schedule.
Key Responsibilities of the Manufacturing Process Engineer:
- Establishing optimum processes to enhance the manufacture of products to quality specifications. This will include sharing of best practices across facilities.
- Demonstrates creativity by reducing ideas to practice through the preparation of experimental formulas, applications, prototypes, etc.
- Provide technical support to the plants to resolve production disruptions ensuring solutions are sustained.
- Designing methods to increase process efficiencies, cost, yield, and quality.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) for Lean efforts, such as kaizen events, where an emphasis is placed on creativity before capital investment.
- Balances costs and benefits with process effectiveness
- Participating on new product development launch teams to ensure a successful development and launch.
- Providing clear guidance to management on the impact of process changes and equipment modifications.
- Uses knowledge of manufacturing capabilities and potential to develop new products/processes.
Required Qualifications for the Manufacturing Process Engineer:
- BS/BA college degree or equivalent industry/functional experience
- 3+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge and skill in the synthesis of monomers, oligomers and polymers as well as physical characterization of same.
- Experience with statistical analysis, Minitab or other statistical software, DOE and Six Sigma.
- Self-starter with the ability to identify business priorities and the ability to organize work activities through effective scheduling.
- Project management skills, including the ability to define problems, lead teams, prioritize tasks, and deliver results.
- Technical/product knowledge and skills
- Knowledge/understanding of construction & recycling processes
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally
- Ability to travel 25%-40%
Desired Qualifications for the Manufacturing Process Engineer:
- 10+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience with radiation curing processing (UV/EB), formulation, coatings or adhesives manufacturing, pilot plant processing, radiometry, and coating process development
- Experience in the manufacture of PVC flooring
- Lean/Six Sigma Certification
Benefits offered by Armstrong World Industries:
Armstrong offers competitive benefits including options and choices to fit your needs such as medical, dental, prescription drug, life insurance, long and short term disability coverage, 401k plan, paid time off, and product discount programs.
About Armstrong World Industries:
Established in 1860, Armstrong World Industries, Inc. is a multi-billion dollar global leader in the design and manufacture of floors and ceilings with a focus on innovation, design, and environmental sustainability. Based in Lancaster PA, Armstrong serves both the residential and commercial markets operating plants and distribution centers in eight countries with over 9,000 employees worldwide.
About Armstrong Floor Products:
Armstrong Floor Products (AFP) is a worldwide leader in the manufacture and marketing of residential and commercial flooring. Armstrong and its family of brands offer the most extensive portfolio of flooring products available. With targeted products for both residential and commercial applications, our portfolio includes resilient sheet and tile, hardwood, laminates, ceramic, and Genuine Linoleum™-.
About the Location (Lancaster, PA):
The campus-like setting of our Corporate Headquarters is in Lancaster, PA. Our location combines easy access to Washington, Baltimore, and Philadelphia with excellent outdoor lifestyle opportunities and reasonable cost of living. Campus amenities include an on-site cafeteria and fitness center. Additionally, we offer competitive compensation and benefits, including opportunities for continuing education and professional accreditation, a 'business casual' corporate culture and a collaborative, inclusive atmosphere.
Armstrong is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.