Armstrong Flooring, a division of Armstrong World Industries, Inc. has a job opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer to be located at our Corporate Headquarters in Lancaster, PA. Reporting to the Engineer Manager for Armstrong Resilient Floor Products, the Mechanical Engineer will serve as a valuable technical resource to our flooring group to provide Mechanical Engineering support to the Resilient Flooring Manufacturing facilities.
The Mechanical Engineer will initially be assigned responsibility in the Lancaster Floor Plant to provide day to day engineering support for the LVT production line. This assignment is expected to last from 6 to 12 months after which the candidate will transition to our Corporate campus and then be expected to provide Mechanical Engineering support to all Resilient Flooring Manufacturing facilities.
The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for manufacturing equipment/system design, fabrication, installation, and commissioning. Support is provided during plant installation, commission, training, and troubleshooting activities. Additionally, the Mechanical Engineer has direct responsibility to provide robust and safe equipment/system designs, including appropriate documentation that meet performance and schedule requirements.
Key Responsibilities of the Mechanical Engineer:
- Replacing/adding production capabilities by adding or modifying equipment
- Establishing equipment SOP's and maintenance practices to place assets in a precision state
- Estimating and executing new product and cost improvement projects
- Modifying equipment and processes to automate manual tasks to reduce and/or eliminate safety hazards, improve capacity and/or reduce cost
- Performs advanced engineering design computations and reviews results with internal and external customers
- Applies working knowledge of materials and components
- Designs equipment and systems for reliability and ease of maintenance
- Prepares purchase requisitions and performs goods receipt (SAP)
- Ensures adherence to applicable codes and standards within discipline
- Participates in pre-appropriation meetings to determine project requirements
- Participates in the development of engineering design and process standards
- Approves engineering drawings and documentation for fabrication and installation issuance
- Adheres to production policies and practices
- Facilitates conducting equipment and customer acceptance tests
- Ensures implementation of safety principles
- Participating in Lean efforts such as kaizen events.
Required Qualifications for the Mechanical Engineer:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment
- Project management skills, including the ability to define problems, lead teams, prioritize tasks, and deliver results.
- Ability to read engineering drawings and CAD experience
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation).
Desired Qualifications for the Mechanical Engineer:
- Previous experience with the application of Six Sigma and/or Lean Manufacturing methodologies, Statistical Process Control and Team Facilitation.
- 3-5 years design experience in a manufacturing environment
- Engineering-related internship, research experience or work experience in an industrial environment or manufacturing facility
- AutoCAD experience.
- 3D CAD experience, preferably AutoDesk Inventor.
- Experience with Microsoft Project
About the Location (Lancaster, PA)
Located in South Central Pennsylvania, Lancaster is ideally situated for easy access to major metropolitan cities such as Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC and New York City. Lancaster offers a vibrant arts and entertainment community with wonderful historic sites, B&Bs, museums, world class shopping, entertainment venues and restaurants. Click here to read stories about Armstrong employees and how they have found “home” in Lancaster County and surrounding areas.
Established in 1860, Armstrong World Industries, Inc. is a multi-billion dollar global leader in the design and manufacture of floors and ceilings with a focus on innovation, design, and environmental sustainability. Based in Lancaster PA, Armstrong serves both the residential and commercial markets operating plants and distribution centers in eight countries with over 9,000 employees worldwide.
- Standard benefit package offerings: Medical, dental, prescription drugs, life insurance
- Long term disability coverage
- Vacation and sick time
- Product discount programs.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Armstrong is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vets.
Notice to Staffing Agencies, Placement Services, and Professional Recruiters
Armstrong World Industries, Inc. has an internal Staffing Department. Recruiters are hereby specifically directed NOT to contact Armstrong employees directly in an attempt to present candidates.
Armstrong will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Armstrong, including unsolicited resumes sent to an Armstrong mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Armstrong employees, or to Armstrong’s resume database will be considered Armstrong property. Armstrong will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Armstrong will consider any candidate for whom a Recruiter has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Recruiter free of any charges or fees.
Armstrong will not pay a fee to any Recruiter that does not have a signed Armstrong contract in place specific to the position for which the resume was submitted.
Recruiting vendor agreements will only be valid if in writing and signed by Armstrong's Corporate Talent Acquisition Manager or his or her designee. No other Armstrong employee is authorized to bind Armstrong to any agreement regarding the placement of candidates by Recruiters. By submitting a candidate to Armstrong, recruiters agree to be bound and comply with this policy.
Primary Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Employment Status: Full-Time