Organization and Job ID : Job ID: 302633
Directorate: Business Systems
Division: Information Management Services
Group: Business Information Systems II
Job Description : About you:Are you a talented software application engineer who is ready to play a central role in the design and development of business critical technology? Do you obsess with finding the right way – and believe that simplicity is genius and perfection is the enemy? If so, then we would like to talk with you about the current openings on our Business Intelligence team in our Business Information Systems (BIS) group. BIS services encompass the design, development, implementation, maintenance, operation, and support of information systems relevant to the administration of PNNL’s operations, programs, finances, property, or other resources. The Business Intelligence team collaborates with our internal and external clients to develop and deploy efficient, effective, and intelligent business analytics solutions that support a broad range of enterprise level reporting requirements. If you thrive on creating meaningful and useful business intelligence solutions that drive outstanding business outcomes, you are our ideal candidate!
As a member of one or more of our Project Teams or Service Management teams you are expected to develop knowledge of the goals of projects you are assigned to and clients you are supporting – and maintain a customer service focus commensurate with this position. You will work under the direction of a Project Manager or Service Manager and be expected to complete assignments with minimal oversight. These assignments will include a broad range of tasks including gathering requirements from users, defining scope and deliverables for project tasks, developing BI reports, providing input for continuous system improvements and daily maintenance and support of the applications.
Minimum Requirements : A Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related technical field and 0 years experience.
Qualifications : Your Experience (individual skill level determined as part of interview process):
• Foundational understanding of the software lifecycle and software engineering best practices, including specification, documentation, configuration management, testing and quality assurance. Familiarity with Agile or Lean programming practices desired;
• Strong analytical, problem solving skills, and time management skills in an operational environment;
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize individual work load, troubleshoot and remedy problems under pressing deadlines;
• Ability to learn and execute new technologies quickly;
• Knowledge and experience with relational database applications (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, and SQL Query language);
• Strong data / process analysis and data modeling skills using tools such as ER/Studio, System Architect, ERwin, and Visio;
• Knowledge of formal relational and dimensional data design principles and practices;
• Experience with business intelligence architectures and tools such as Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) Plus and Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services;
• Understanding of data warehouse architectures and operations including star schema and denormalization techniques;
• Ability to develop and maintain software applications for both client server and web deployment;
• Knowledge and experience with software testing techniques: manual and automated testing, and executing test cases;
• Self-motivated, excellent communicator, ability to thrive in multidisciplinary teams
Special Conditions of Employment:
This position requires considerable use of computer workstation equipment (keyboard, mouse, VDT). Occasional weekend or evening work may be required to meet deadlines, install or test new systems, or respond to system problems.
Preferred Education/Credential : A Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or a related field, and 2+ years of experience in the development and maintenance of Business Intelligence systems using modern database management technologies and software development methodologies, or Master degree and 1+ years of experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity : Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All staff at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Other Information : This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* US Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.